Oakland Roots Roster Moves Hot Takes




I am thrilled with this initial group of players the Roots are bringing back. With one glaring exception, this is essentially the entire defense (which, as you may recall, conceded zero goals in 210 minutes of playoff soccer). As our readers are surely aware, RootsBlog loves a large lad, so I am personally thrilled about Greene returning.  John Morrissey, of USL tactics, a much more reliable source than I am, is focusing on the fullbacks:


The team could probably go into next season without bringing in any new starters on defense, although both fullbacks surely need backups.  I am not advocating for the team to go into the season with only these players plus backups.  But I think it is a very good start on defense.

Outside of defense, though, there is a lot of work still to be done. It would make sense that Ferrell would look for a manager who shares his vision for how the team will be built.  I am way out of my depth in trying to explain the difference between 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3, Fotmob says the team played a 4-2-3-1 in the two playoff games. Fissore and Hernandez are sure to start, but whether you characterize Hernandez as a midfielder or a forward, the team needs at least another midfielder and three other attackers.

In the playoffs, those roles were filled by Nane, Rodriguez, Amarikwa, and Enriquez. I am excited to see Mbumba and Rodriguez return, both showed real promise last season, and given their respective ages, it would not be surprising if each had a better 2022 than 2021. That said, when Mbumba played well last season, it was not in the same function that Enriquez served in the playoffs: harassment. That may have been a strategy that Ferrell employed against strong opposition on the road, rather than the long-term plan for the outside forward position. Either way, if the plan is for Mbumba to start, he does not play the position the same way Chuy did. There is also currently no central striker on the roster, unless the plan is to move Rodriguez. Despite flashes of brilliance from Amarikwa and Bokila throughout the regular season, and strong harassing play from Amarikwa in the postseason, central striker was probably the least consistent position for the Roots in 2021. I would not mind seeing Rodriguez get some minutes there next season, but I would be surprised if the plan is for him to lead the line in 2022. Even if Ferrell and the front office wouldn't hire a manager who rejects Ferrell's vision, potentially this is nonetheless a position where it makes the most sense to wait until a manager is signed and can provide input on how they want the attack to take shape.

We are looking to Max Ornstil to step up and take the "all bangers all the time" mantle that Wal Fall set down.

This is a strong start to the Roots’ offseason. RootsBlog will keep you updated on the Roots’ search for a new manager, and the pieces to be added to the 2022 puzzle.

While you're here, let me suggest that you read Comeaux's piece and vote for the fan's choice player of the year.  I speak only for myself here, not RootsBlog as a whole, but I voted for Emrah Klimenta.  It says something that he was wearing the captain's armband in the playoffs.  The defense was the strongest unit, and notwithstanding Morrisey's argument above, I think the central defense was the rock of the team.  Initially I thought that Klimenta was the stronger player overall, although by the end of the season I think I would have given that to Kai Greene.  However, I think it was pretty close, and I think that Klimenta stepped up in some absolutely huge moments, especially the goal against Sac.  I also think you could see how important Klimenta's leadership was to the team.  I hope they bring him back.

Dr. RootsBlog ("Mrs. RootsBlog" would be clearer, but she prefers "Dr.") would also like to state her case for Quincy as player of the season, even though he was not nominated.  She points out that the team really turned around when he joined, that he scored against Sac, and that "Go Aggies."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oakland Roots Song & Chant Tracker

Oakland Roots Player of the Year Fan Vote

The People Wanted More Goals, and the Oakland Roots Have Listened.